Skip to main content

News

• ElkArte - Just Installed!

Topic: Registrations (Read 438 times) previous topic - next topic

• Alan Fox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Registrations
I'm granting everyone who registers "global moderator" status! As I've worked with Neil and I need the help, he got Admin status without asking.

Re: Registrations
Reply #1
Thanks.  It may take a while to get the hang of things.

Is https supported?  (My browser complains about login being insecure).

Reply #2
I tried it.  And https seems to work, and the browser no longer complains.

• stcordova
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #3
The user br56u7 is someone I invited to this forum.  I'm just mentioning it so as to help speed his registration.

• Alan Fox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
The user br56u7 is someone I invited to this forum.  I'm just mentioning it so as to help speed his registration.

Oh shoot, Sal! Looked like a spam registration so I deleted it before seeing your message. Would you recontact and convey my apologies. Perhaps suggest a user name that looks less like a Russian spammer. Sorry.

• stcordova
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #5
Hey Alan,

I understand.  I tried to run a forum, and I got so badly spammed, and after trying every counter measure short of hiring at professional anti-spam expert, I simply removed the registration link!!!!!  I thought I was having to delete 100 attempts a day as the hackers had some bot just trying to register ever hour, sometimes every 5 minutes. It was disgusting.

Now, JohnnyB is really busy until after April, but he may have some ideas how to shut down spammers.  I have contacts with a cybersecurity expert who owes me a lot of favors who may be able to help.

All this to say, just for you own sanity, we might have to try to figure a way to help you block the hackers while letting the good guys in.

FWIW, the auto-counter measures won't let Br56u7 log back in because it tracked his IP from his phone.  He will attempt to register from another computer.  Oh well...

In lieu of this, can we create an account for him?  If you PM me his temporary password, I can contact him.

Hey, thanks for all you're doing.  I also wouldn't worry about latex for now.  I think I (and JohnnyB) have a work around for now.  Besides, JohnnyB will be in communicado till April or so.

• Alan Fox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Hey Alan,

I understand.  I tried to run a forum, and I got so badly spammed, and after trying every counter measure short of hiring at professional anti-spam expert, I simply removed the registration link!!!!!  I thought I was having to delete 100 attempts a day as the hackers had some bot just trying to register ever hour, sometimes every 5 minutes. It was disgusting.

Now, JohnnyB is really busy until after April, but he may have some ideas how to shut down spammers.  I have contacts with a cybersecurity expert who owes me a lot of favors who may be able to help.

All this to say, just for you own sanity, we might have to try to figure a way to help you block the hackers while letting the good guys in.

FWIW, the auto-counter measures won't let Br56u7 log back in because it tracked his IP from his phone.  He will attempt to register from another computer.  Oh well...

In lieu of this, can we create an account for him?  If you PM me his temporary password, I can contact him.

Hey, thanks for all you're doing.  I also wouldn't worry about latex for now.  I think I (and JohnnyB) have a work around for now.  Besides, JohnnyB will be in communicado till April or so.

He's made it through now, I see!

• Alan Fox
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
  I also wouldn't worry about latex for now.  I think I (and JohnnyB) have a work around for now.  Besides, JohnnyB will be in communicado till April or so.

Well, I've confirmed there is currently no addon to enable LaTeX. But there are on-line tools. Here's one  but it's a bit primitive. Another alternative is to think about enabling HTML as there are several on-line tools which work with it. BB code not so much.